Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Vegans and Lactose Intolerants Everywhere Rejoice: The Review of Ben and Jerry's Vegan Ice Creams



Since I am an aspiring vegan (after 4 p.m., only on weekdays, when I'm sober), when I found out Ben and Jerry's was jumping on the health bandwagon along with the rest of America and rolling out vegan options, I actually thought about sending them a personal thank you note (disclosure: I ended up giving them a great rating on Yelp, but whatever, it's the thought that counts.) Surprisingly, it took me a while to get a hold of these rare beauties, and right before I was about to sell my dignity and order them off of Amazon, I FINALLY saw them in a health food store close to my home. Coincidentally, it was the weekend of Father's Day, and for some unknown reason my health goals go torpedo-ing out the window on this holiday. Therefore, it was the perfect day for me to try every flavor Ben and Jerry decided us vegans were worthy of and decide which ones I would be ordering in batches off Amazon for future drunken munchies.

From utterly despicable to disgustingly delicious, here is my review of the Ben and Jerry's Vegan Ice Creams:


P.B. Cookies: So glorious I don't feel comfortable expressing my opinion on this heaven-delivered concoction on such a public platform. The crunchy peanut butter swirls complemented the chocolate sandwich cookies in a way that wine complements pizza. Just meant to be together

Chunky Monkey: B- for effort, but just no. So much no. That s*** was NOT bananas. It almost tasted more refined-sugar/chemical-laden than its lactose counterpart. The walnuts were few, the gags were many, and the whole experience just wasn't.

Coffee Caramel Fudge: Although coffee and caramel aren't my go-tos, this was pretty incredible. I had some family members say it was a bit too sweet for their liking, but it's hard to mask the sweetness of something smothered in caramel.

Chocolate Fudge Brownie: While I did fall madly in love with it and am definitely ordering it in bulk off Amazon, I painfully and honestly must admit that it's not as rich as the original. The chocolate ice cream was creamy, delicious, and I most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and the original. However, the vegan brownies didn't put me in a state of complete euphoria in the way that the original brownies do. Furthermore, there could've been more brownie bits. Just because it's vegan doesn't mean you have to lessen the party.

Although there were wins and there were losses, the REAL winner was me because I consumed roughly 2 and a half full ice cream cartons and felt lighter and less gassy than I usually do with just half a non-vegan Ben and Jerry's. So kudos B & J, I'm so happy to have you guys back in my life again.


No comments:

Post a Comment