Monday, July 25, 2016

How To Get Fit When All You Have Is A Tree


A couple years ago, any gym equipment that forced me to adjust it to cater to my own needs was completely off limits (i.e. if you weren’t a box or a ball, I wasn’t coming near you.) Last summer my friend finagled me into going to a TRX class at our local gym, and while I was pissed I had been conned (she said it was a “good class” not a “good TRX class”), I was also secretly glad I was finally getting the chance to learn how to work this hanging conundrum without ending up like this unfortunate soul:



Needless to say, I LOVED it. To be clear, I enjoy classes that make me feel like I’m going to die. If I’m not drenched in sweat, saying nasty words about the teacher under my breath, or breathing like I’m being chased by a fricken’ cheetah, the class is a failure and I’m never going back. So if you’re more of the restorative yoga, hiking on flat terrain, elliptical type, maybe avoid this type of exercise. But, if you freakishly enjoy being tortured until your muscles are shaking like JLO, I highly recommend TRX.

TRX suspensions are one of the most versatile and confusing pieces of equipment I’ve ever come across in the gym. TRX stands for Total-body Resistance eXercise, and was originally used by militaries as a serious form of strength conditioning. Yeah, point proven. They are lightweight, yet incredibly strong adjustable straps and handles that can be anchored to pretty much anything. Like, anything from your bedroom door to a tree in the middle of the park. TRX uses nothing but your own body weight and gravity as resistance, and since it packs down into a small bag, it's perfect for people who travel or are too lazy to leave their bedroom. Trainers swear by it, and since it offers hundreds of exercise options, you can sculpt your entire body from literally every angle.

If you’re keen on giving the TRX a go, here are a few simple exercises to get you started off:


TRX Push Up:




Stand facing away from the TRX with feet shoulder-width apart. Hold handles at chest height in front of you, arms extended and palms facing the floor. With body aligned from head to heels, shift weight to balls of feet and bend elbows. Push up to return to starting position.
Reps: 10
Sets:3


TRX Inverted Row:




Lie faceup under the TRX with knees bent and feet on floor. Hold the handles over your chest, arms extended and palms facing each other. Bend elbows, pulling torso up until your body is aligned from shoulders to knees. Extend arms to starting position.
Reps: 8
Sets: 3


TRX Lunge:




Stand facing away from the TRX with left foot on both foot cradles and hands on hips. (Legs should be extended.) Bend knees until right thigh is parallel to the floor; rise up to starting position. Switch legs to complete set.
Reps: 10 on each leg (That's 20 total in one set for you fools)
Sets: 3


TRX Pike (These kind of suck, in a good way):




Begin in a suspended plank position with your feet in the TRX loops, toes facing down and wrists directly underneath your shoulders. Your body should be in a straight line from head to toe. Pressing down through your palms, lift your hips up towards the ceiling by drawing your legs towards your chest until you look like an upside-down V, or as high as you can go. Slowly lower your legs and return to the starting position
Reps: 10
Sets: 3

As always, if you're feeling a little confused and don't want to end up like the distressed fellow pictured above, consult a trainer for assistance because they're supposed to know what they're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment